Apply before 11:55 pm on Monday 7th September 2020
£51,050 – £57,550
HMRC – CDIO – Chief Data Officer (CDO)
Type of role
Flexible working, Full-time, Job share, Part-time
Number of posts
Shipley, moving to Leeds Regional Centre; Albert Bridge House, Manchester
About the job
HMRC is building a modern, digital tax administration and runs the biggest digital operation in Government, providing digital services for 45 million individuals and 4.9 million business customers. Our digital programme is multi-award winning and the envy of other government organisations.
This is an exciting time to join an organisation that probably doesn’t work how you’d imagine a government organisation would. Our blog tells you a bit more about what we do and how we do it! here
We are undergoing a major transformation programme, which includes a major investment in digitisation. This means customers can do more for themselves online, in real time, on computers, tablets and smartphones therefore we are building a team of outstanding people who will create and run these new and improved technology services.
Our role sits within HMRC’s Chief Digital & Information Group (CDIO) we’re increasingly delivering in-house through our growing network of digital delivery centres – hi-tech, state-of-the-art facilities across the UK.
This is an exciting opportunity for a skilled Senior Data Scientist to join the one of three Data Science teams that operate within the Chief Data Office (CDO). You will be joining an award winning HMRC Data Science function and will get the chance to work on data projects and analysis that really makes a difference to our customers, using and extending your skills to be the best you can be.
The Chief Data Office works with teams across HMRC to ensure that HMRC implements a data strategy that will exploit its data to maximise revenues, transform tax and payments and build a professional, efficient and truly engaged organisation.
At Data Science Services, we use our technical and analytical expertise to produce innovative data science solutions, linked to business requirements.
This Grade 7 role is for a Senior Data Scientist, and we are looking for an individual who is a specialist in their field, to bring technical expertise to projects and leadership to project teams.
You will be expected to:
• Source, access, manipulate and engineer data processes with data that typically have characteristics of volume, velocity and variety, or both
• Build robust statistical models from the data and use the best coding practices to generate reproducible work
• Use an evolving range of data analysis tools and techniques, including open source, some of which must be learnt quickly, as and when required
• Explore and visualise the data to present the ‘story’ of the data in a meaningful way, and to a variety of technical and non-technical audiences
• Work in an “Agile” manner with colleagues from the wider data science community, technology and other specialists
• Adhere to the data science ethics framework
• Are open minded and demonstrate strong intellectual curiosity
• Have an interdisciplinary focus, using techniques and knowledge from across the scientific spectrum
• Be the technical specialist, lead and point of reference for data science projects and colleagues, leading data science technical and staff developments to ensure skills and tooling are relevant, innovative and continually developing
• Propagate data science skills in other teams, understanding the variety of functional roles relating to data science and how they can be most effectively applied to tackle business problems
• A recognised authority on a number of data science specialisms, preferably applicable within government, with some knowledge of innovative techniques
• Experience of engaging with senior partners and champion the value of data science
• Able to use a wide range of data science tools, techniques and programmes to practitioner or expert level
• Demonstrable experience of line management to more junior colleagues
• Leading the communication of the value of data science to senior colleagues
• Able to lead the technical aspects across a range of data science projects and lead project teams
• Experience of applied Data Science and advanced analytics
• Extensive programming experience in R, Python, Java, SQL, SAS or similar
• Evidence of effectively employing data science tools and techniques for insight and data products delivery as well as management project outcomes
• Strong written and verbal communication skills including ability to explain sophisticated concepts to non-technical audiences
• A degree or equivalent in a Computer Science related subject area would be desirable